Business License Applications

The City of Cedar Hills welcomes and encourages businesses within its community. Much of our local business is made up of small, locally owned home occupation businesses. The city’s current business license ordinance indicates the requirements and any restrictions in operating a home occupation business, as well as other types of businesses.

Business Licensing Ordinance

Home Business License


You will receive an annual renewal form, paper license, and additional information

Home Office Application (No public, clients, or non-residing employees)
No-Impact $25.00
Annual Renewal $20.00

Home Business Application with low impact (Public, Salons, clients, non-residing employees, or storage of hazardous materials)
$30.00 with a 1 time set-up fee of $20.00

Home Business Application with impact (Pre-School, Daycare, Group Instruction with 4+ individuals, etc.)
$90.00 with a 1 time set-up fee of $20.00

  • Fire & Safety Inspection by AF Fire Department - (801)-763-3040 *

  • Background Check

  • Annual Renewal $90 (includes inspections)

ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit)

STR (Short Term Rental), Airbnb & VRBO (Less than 30 day stay)
$150.00 Conditional Use Permit + $25.00 Business License Application

  • Short-Term Rental Packet
    - Business License Application
    - Annual Renewal $25.00

  • Long Term Rental (Greater than 30 day stay)

Commercial License 


Commercial Business License Application
$135.00 with a 1 time set up fee of $20.00

  • Fire & Safety Inspection by AF Fire Department- (801)763-3040 *

  • Health Department Certificate (If applicable*)

  • Annual Renewal $135 +employees 

    Beer License Application

Solicitation and Peddler License


Solicitation/Peddler License Application

  • *Background Check – Within the state you reside in.

  • *Door to Door Solicitation badge provided by the city.

  • Annual Renewal $80.00


Prior to applying for a Cedar Hills business license, an individual should contact the State of Utah to ensure that all state-mandated requirements have been met. Go to the State of Utah Website, where you will find all of the information that you need. You may also contact the State of Utah by phone at 1-877-526-3994.

  • Business owners may request to have their business information printed on this website.

  • Business license information is generally considered public record, except for private information such as birth dates or social security numbers.

  • Depending on the type of business, safety and fire inspections may be required with an associated inspection fee.

  • Business licenses are valid until the anniversary date, at which time a renewal application will be automatically sent to the business owner.

Business Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need a Cedar Hills business license?

A: If your business lists your home in Cedar Hills as its physical location, you must obtain a Cedar Hills business license. Even if business is not specifically conducted within Cedar Hills, but your home address is used for registration with the State of Utah, you are required to have a municipal license with the City of Cedar Hills.

Q: Why do I need a Cedar Hills Business License?

A: The purpose of a Cedar Hills business license is:

  • To regulate and license businesses within the corporate limits of the City of Cedar Hills.

  • To determine if businesses are operating within applicable laws and ordinances.

  • To maintain a safe environment for the general public through inspections.

  • To enforce zoning, building, and fire codes.

Q: What is off-site impact?

A: Cedar Hills defines a material off-site impact as, “an impact that a residential home based business has that exceeds the impact of a residential home alone. The impact may be based on traffic, noise, lighting, odor, or utility services. Businesses that are determined to have a material off-site impact shall be required to pay all business licensing fees.”

Q: When would I need a home business safety inspection?

A:  If you have anyone from the public (i.e. students, clients, customers, employees) come to your home, you will need to have a safety inspection.

Q: When do I need to submit a background check?

A:  If your business works primarily with children or the elderly, or if you are a solicitor, you will need to submit a background check from the Utah State Department of Safety.  Their phone number is (801) 965-4445.  For more information, you can also click here.

Glossary of Terms

Business Registration Number (aka Business Entity Number): By law, you are required to register your business name with the Department of Commerce. You must provide a copy of your business registration number when you return your business license application to our office. Please call (801) 530-4849 if you have any questions.

Sales Tax Number: Generally, only businesses involved with the sale of a tangible product must apply for a state sales tax number. For questions you may contact the Utah State Tax Commission at 1-800-662-4335. If you are required to have a Sales Tax Number, you must provide it when you return your business license application to our office.

Federal Employer Identification Number (aka Federal Tax I.D. Number, EIN or FEIN): Most businesses will need to obtain a federal employer identification number with the Internal Revenue Service if any of the following entities are being created with employees: corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or sole proprietor. Please call 1-800-829-4933 or click here for additional information.

Employer Withholding Number: Employers can get a withholding tax account (license) by completing and submitting the form TC-69 Utah State Business and Tax Registration to the tax commission. There is no fee for a withholding tax account. However, if you have a history of filing or paying taxes late, you may have to post a surety bond.

State License: It is required of some occupations to have a special license issued by the state. Please go to DOPL Utah for more information or call the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing at 1(866) 275-3675.

Federal License: You will only need a federal license or permit if your business is involved in activities that are supervised and regulated by a federal agency. The types of business activities licensed by the federal government can be found clicking here.