A Building permit is required for all new construction, remodels (including basement finishes), accessory buildings, HVAC installations and replacements, water heater, roofing, and solar panel installations.
Applying for a building permit?
Need to schedule an inspection?
Need to upload files?
Visit the BUILDING PERMIT PORTAL
HOW TO APPLY FOR A BUILDING PERMIT
To apply online for a building permit please click here and follow the steps listed below.
- Click on the HOUSE icon to begin.
- Fill out the Building permit application information with all the requested information, including Contractor information. If you will be acting as the Contractor for the project, please enter “Owner/Builder” in the contractor field.
- After filling out all the requested information and reading all the notices included on the application, sign using the E-Signature field on the application.
- Click on “Choose Files”. Attach the plans you will be using for your project including plans, engineering, site plan, etc.
- Don’t forget to click submit!
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
Once you have submitted the building permit application, the Building Department will review the application along with the uploaded plans. If more information is needed, you will be contacted via email with a plan review. The Building department will notify the applicant/contractor when the permit is approved and ready to be issued.
- INSPECTIONS: Any work that requires a building permit will need inspections. Once a permit has been issued and work is ready for an inspection, the Contractor or Applicant will need to request an inspection. There are two ways to request an inspection; either online or by phone.
- ONLINE REQUEST: To access the online inspection request visit the City website at www.cedarhills.org. Under the Departments tab follow the drop-down menu to building and building permit. Click on the Search magnifying glass icon.
- Use your building permit number to search for your permit. Click on “Request A Video Inspection”. Choose your inspection type and pick a day to check for availability.
- PHONE REQUEST: The Contractor or Applicant can call in to the City Office and schedule an inspection. Please call 801-785-9668 x204 Monday through Friday between 9am – 1pm, excluding holidays.
We do require 24 hrs. notice for an inspection.
No same day inspections.
When calling to request an inspection, please have the following information available:
- Permit Number
- Site Address
- Type of inspection being requested
A copy (digital or physical) of the issued permit and City approved plans are required to be on site for ALL inspections.
If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please call 801-785-9668 x 204 or email us at email@example.com
Non-Digital Building Permit Application for new construction, remodels, accessory buildings, HVAC, roofing, and solar panel installations.
Please Note: HVAC contractors and gas appliance installers shall submit a Building Permit. HVAC installations also require a plan review and documentation to indicate that the proposed equipment installation has been properly sized to meet State code requirements. Gas appliance installations applications also require a gas schematic.
New home or commercial builds
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a building permit to finish my basement or add on a room?
Yes. It is required by both the City of Cedar Hills and the International Building Code, plus all homeowners insurance companies, that safety and construction inspections be conducted on all home improvements. The cost of this permit will depend on the square footage of the improvement. The code specifically states: “Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure…shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.”
Do I need a permit to put a shed on my property?
Yes. To ensure that you meet the set-back and height requirements, you need to obtain a building permit for any accessory building. For portable sheds under 120 sq. ft. and utility sheds under 200 sq. ft. please submit the Installation Permit through the Zoning Department.
What is the cost of a building permit to build my house?
Building permit costs are figured individually, depending on the square footage of the home and the impact fees charged in the subdivision where you are building. Fees are subject to change. A plan check deposit is required for all construction, other than finishing a basement. Refer to the fee schedule for more information.
Do I need a permit to install solar panels on my home?
A building permit, two sets of plans, and a plan-check deposit of $300 are required for installation of solar panels. Please refer to the Solar PV System Plan Review Requirements.
What is required to pass a final inspection on new construction?
Download the Final Inspection Checklist (new construction).
What is required to pass a final inspection on a basement, addition, or remodel?
How long do I have to receive a refund of my construction bond?
During the July 17, 2007, city council meeting, a default provision was added to Title 6 of the City Code regarding financial guarantees on new construction. View a complete copy of this ordinance. Please refer to the Bond Release Inspection Guidelines.