March 23, 2017

March 23, 2017 – CEDAR HILLS, UTAH

As an update to concerns with irrigation water coming out of American Fork Canyon, the city’s Public Works Department took samples from the following locations and delivered the samples to Chemtech-Ford on March 22, 2017. We intend that the results of these tests will be sent to the Utah Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) and released to the general public. The water in question is untreated secondary ground water that is used in the city’s residential pressurized irrigation system. As with any irrigation water, precautions should be taken to not allow children to drink or play in the water. 

  1. Water sample at pond ten weir
  2. Sediment/soil sample at pond ten near water inlet
  3. Water sample at pond 12
  4. Sediment sample at Mesquite Park
  5. Water sample at Heritage Park at diversion dam
  6. Soil sample from creek bed in Heritage Park

Test results should be available for the water samples in approximately 30 days, and the sediment samples in 45 days. The city will continue testing in April, when the pressurized irrigation water season officially begins, and again a short time thereafter to run additional soil tests. 

March 30, 2017: Chemtech-Ford Laboratories Releases Test Findings on City’s Secondary Water Samples

Timeline of Tibble Fork Reservoir Sediment Release


On August 23, 2016, the Division of Water Quality was notified of an unplanned release of sediment from Tibble Fork Reservoir into the North Fork of the American Fork River. DWQ collected water chemistry and sediment samples on August 23 through August 30 to characterize the impact the release had on human health, the aquatic environment, and downstream water users. The National Park Service at Timpanogos National Monument collected data on August 22, 2016. These data sets have been evaluated in the context of human health, aquatic life, and agricultural uses of American Fork River. Read more.

Updates from the DEQ – Tibble Fork Reservoir Sediment Release August 2016

Questions or concerns may be directed to Mayor Gygi or any member of the city council.