There are four types of installations to choose from. Please select the correct inspection permit application for your project.

1. General Installation Permit

Use the General Installation Permit for fences, utility sheds under 200 sq ft, decks under 200 sq ft, patios, hot tubs, awnings, and similar structures. Refer to the City Code for zoning regulations concerning these and similar supplementary development projects. Within the City Code select Chapter 10, Title 5, Item 29. Please submit a site plan with the application.

We will not be accepting any photo copies of building/installation permits.

2. Appliance Installation Permit

Use this form for home appliances, such as dishwashers, water softeners, etc.

3. Building Permit Application for new construction, remodels, accessory buildings over 200 sq. ft., HVAC, gas appliances, and solar panel installations.

HVAC and Gas Appliance Installation Permit

Please Note: HVAC contractors and gas appliance installers shall submit a Building Permit. HVAC installations also require a plan review and documentation to indicate that the proposed equipment installation has been properly sized to meet State code requirements. Gas appliance installations applications also require a gas schematic.

4. Sign Installation Permit

Use this Installation Permit for signs. Refer to the City Code for zoning regulations concerning these and similar supplementary development projects. Within the City Code select Chapter 10, Title 5, Item 26. Please submit a site plan with the application.

5. Pressurized Irrigation Connections for a pressurized irrigation permit and connection agreement.


A General Installation Permit (use link above) is required for sheds to ensure that structural set-back and height requirements are met. If inspections are required, you will be notified by the city, as various types of installations may require a building permit.

Solar Panels

A Building Permit Application with two sets of plans and a plan check deposit ($300 check only) are required for installation of solar panels.

Fencing Information

Most properties in the City of Cedar Hills have at least a five-foot easement around the perimeter of the lot. Some properties may have larger easements, and some easements may have special restrictions. Before installing landscaping, constructing a fence or a retaining wall, etc., please submit an Installation Permit (linked below) with two sets of plans. The permit allows the city’s code enforcement official to review and approve the proposal, based on any restrictions, limitations, or easements.

Typically, only concrete pads and fences are permitted to be constructed over easements, but should be done only after a permit has been approved. The location of a retaining wall needs to be carefully reviewed to ensure that it can be approved in the desired location. If retaining walls are constructed within a utility easement area without the proper permit, the homeowner may be responsible for all costs to restore the area in the event that the easement must be accessed. Play it safe and apply for an installation permit. If you have further questions concerning this or other issues, please contact the Zoning Department or the code enforcement officer.

Documents for Fencing

  1. General Installation Permit
  2. Fencing Ordinance, Corner Lot Drawing, Street /Parkway Fence Overlay Map (Select Title 10, Chapter 5, Item 18: Fences)
  3. Tree List

Instructions for Fencing

Complete the General Installation Permit form and attach a site plan. The site plan must contain the following:

  1. Lot dimensions drawn to scale.
  2. Footprint of home and any other structures (shed, fire hydrants, mail boxes, etc.),
    including setbacks.
  3. Location of the proposed fence, including materials to be used and height of fence.

NOTE: The Cedars subdivision has its own design guidelines for fencing. These guidelines can be found in the CCR’s for the subdivision. HOA approval is required prior to submitting the installation permit to the city.

Connection to Pressurized Irrigation

The Installation Permit and Connection Agreement are required documents for the pressurized irrigation (PI) connection process. These, along with the Connection Guide and Diagram, can be downloaded as follows: